Thursday, April 18, 2013

So, that Nintendo Direct....

... WOW.  Let's go over what went on.

The biggest thing?

EARTHBOUND IS FINALLY COMING OUT ON THE WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE!
This game has been long sought after.  The quirky SNES game was released earlier this year or last year in Japan on their Wii U virtual console, but possible legal issues kept this game from America... for now.

Anyway, it's coming out, but there is no word on what has or will be changed for the legal US release. 

The Oracle series from The Legend of Zelda will also arrive in the US for the first time.  While the originals were available separately on the Gameboy Color (I actually almost beat Oracle of Seasons, I got stuck on the final boss, and I made it about half way through Oracle of Ages at one point)  this time the two will be linked together, getting rid of the password system the original used.

Speaking of that,
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 2 is coming to the 3DS!  I never played the first, but it should be available on the 3DS VC.  Or the Wii VC.  Either way, I should play it soon.  Did you ever play it?

Level 5 is releasing 4 games.  So far, no word on Phoenix Wright vs Professor Layton (BRING IT OVER PLEASE!!!!)  but Guild 02, among others, will arrive in the US.  As will the LAST Professor Layton game ever. (barring Wright vs Layton)    I don't know if I can handle that.  I'll miss that gentleman.
((I believe I read it will be released in the US Next year, so we will have hope!))

SMT 4 also has a release date
((The function on this blog is keeping me from finding the English trailer)  It comes out July 16th.

A lot of people are excited about this one:
Most people thought this game would go the way of Type-0
Where despite it's heavy lauds in Japan, it wouldn't come over here.  Happily, Square Enix proved everyone wrong and we'll receive it soon... in 2014.  It's kind of a sequel to Four Heroes of Light so pick that up if you haven't already.

On the Mario side of things, there is a new Yoshi's Island, Super Luigi U DLC (to continue the Year of Luigi), and Mario and Luigi: Dream Team is coming to the US and Europe.


There where others, but these are the ones I'm most excited about.  (Though I am debating on Animal Crossing, I've never played one before.)

1) FREAKING EARTHBOUND, THE HOLY GRAIL OF VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAMES, WILL BE AVAILABLE.  We'll see what and how much gets changed, but this should be great.

2) I adore Legend of Zelda games.  This should be a lot of fun.  The game has a simple formula, but it's very concise, the worlds are fleshed out, and it always works. 

3) The Professor Layton games are great challenges, but more importantly we grow to care about each of these characters.  Plus, in a world of violent anti heroes, to have such a gentleman like Hershel Layton and his apprentice, Luke Triton, is so refreshing.

4)  While I have played one SMT game (Devil Survivor 1... I still haven't beaten it)  I know a lot of people are interested and I DO want to give it a try.

5) Bravely Default is a Square Enix RPG... I'm a total sucker for those games. 

6) I'm most excited from Dream Team.  It focuses quite a bit on Luigi and it's an RPG. 


So, all in all, a very successful Nintendo Direct conference. 

What did you like the most?


1 comment:

  1. Still no word about an NA release for Phoenix vs. Professor Layton? That's disappointing. :(

    I was one of the fans who hoped to see an announcement for Majora's Mask 3D, and while I wasn't sure what to make of the design of the new game, it's Legend of Zelda, so I'm sure I'll get sucked into it and it'll be a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete